Help us be the voice of the National Guard
As a member of NGAAL and NGAUS, you will be part of the voice of the National Guard. Our association represents the Officers, Warrant Officers, and Soldiers of the National Guard to ensure we have the best equipment, the best training, and the best benefits so that we are part of the greatest military force in the world! The more members we have, the louder Congress hears our voice.
Accomplishments and lobbying efforts
- Our impact goes back to 1878 when the National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) was formed. NGAUS is made up of the state associations such as NGAAL from all 54 states and territories.
- We lobbied lawmakers for legislation that mandates equipment parity and increases in maintenance and operations funding to field National Guard units with new equipment and the funding to train with and maintain them. Look at all the brand new M-4’s and M-17’s Alabama Soldiers and Airmen have been fielding in FY22!
- Lobbied for additional funding from Congress to expand the State Partnership Program allowing more units and NG Soldiers to partner and train with Alabama’s SPP partner, Romania. In FY21 and FY22, the Alabama National Guard has participated in numerous Army and Air engagements including the opportunity for Alabama Soldiers to cross-train with their Romanian counterparts at the Company level!
- We worked with lawmakers to correct the Post 9/11 GI Bill to Include the National Guard.
- We worked with Congress to establish Tricare Reserve Select and subsequent enhancements to Tricare to provide drilling Soldiers and their families with an affordable healthcare option.
- Lobbied for historic levels of Military Construction funding which is contributing to extensive Armory renovations, new Armories, and training site renovations. We can see this in Alabama with all the renovations and construction at the Ft. McClellan Training Center and at the 187th Fighter Wing.
- We established a no cost $1,000 life insurance policy provided to all members of the association through NGAUS.
- We established a no cost $1,000 life insurance policy provided to ALL members the ALNG through the National Guard Association of Alabama Insurance Trust.
- Worked with lawmakers to lower the National Guard retirement age by 3 months for every 90 days served on active duty.
- Reduced the BAH eligibility for Guardsmen from 140 days to 30 days.
- Enactment of the National Guard Empowerment Act, giving the National Guard a seat on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Some of our historical accomplishments include Guard members receiving 4 days Active Duty Pay for 2 days of IDT Attendance. NGAAL, ENGAA and NGAUS continue to lobby for this equality.
What else do I get from being a member?
Your membership helps fund national level representation for the interests of the National Guard and its Officers and Soldiers. Additionally, it offers fellowship and cooperation with other Officers in the National Guard Association through events such as our Annual Conference and After Work Socials as well as an opportunity to have direct contact and interaction with Senior Leaders of the Alabama National Guard.